Visit me at my new site ~ click below for my latest posts...

Friday, November 21, 2008

Police Convoy...

Listening to: Le Bienheureux - Guts

Dave is currently at Abu Simbel, and later visiting Philae and the High Dam. He left this morning at 3.15am to meet the Police convoy leaving at 4am (the only way foreigners are allowed to travel from Aswan onwards) unless on a train, boat or felucca. I feel a little envious and sad that I'm not with him as I believe Abu Simbel will be very awe inspiring. Philae and the Temple of Isis is amazing (at least I've seen that) and am glad Dave is visiting that also. I chose not to see Abu Simbel on my last visit for similar reasons as today. When we arrived in Aswan 3 days ago I really wanted to go as I felt I'd been given a second chance to see this amazing place. BUT with the big coaches only available to the Cruise tour groups (this is what I wanted) we were stuck with a small mini bus. My dodgy knee is not coping - Have I mentioned how many stairs are in Aswan? Just to get to any restaurant requires a hike up and down a million steps as they're all floating on the Nile, which is quite a descent below street level. So the idea of spending 3 hours there and 3 hours back in a small mini van and a screaming knee, I've arrived at the same decision as my first visit. It's such a long way to travel for only 1 - 2 hours at the site if you're not feeling quite up to it.

I will have to settle for being awe inspired by Dave's photos and his recount of his experience upon his return this arvo!!

We have a million pix and will post some of them when we return to OZ probably on flickr.

This is Midnight rambler signing off and looking forward to hearing all about Dave's grand adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment