Visit me at my new site ~ click below for my latest posts...

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Aswan, Kom Ombo & Edfu

Day One:
Part I - Aswan - Kom Ombo

This morning is filled with all sorts of trepidation about our intended cruise. We try not to give it too much thought except for positive energy as we pack and wait...and wait... for our tour operator to pick us up. Have we been ripped off? Has he taken our money and not coming back?

Finally, Monty arrives (some relief). We cab it to the far end of the Nile and rows of ships we never knew existed. Made three different stops looking for our boat (not a good sign). Finally it comes into view 'Song of Egypt' - Marquis II. Dread fills me. This is the very boat we read awful reviews on.

Upon arrival at reception they take our passports and keeps them until Luxor - Police requirement apparently, but I don't feel good about this! I'm very protective of my passport - I want it back!! We are shown to our cabin, it is below deck. Instantly, I know this is no good. Cabin 125 smells of diesel and has a view of concrete (the cement bank of the Nile). I want to vomit from the fumes. It feels like a prison cell and claustrophobia consumes me :(

I ask for another room. Reception tell me 'boat is complete'. I insist there must be another room up a level. 'Boat is complete' (going by the amount of keys left at reception I don't believe the ship is full. I know we are cheap add ons). This conversation goes back and forth like this until I tell him the smell of fumes are making me sick and I think by the tone of my voice he gets the message and shows us another room. Cabin 232, one deck above is not as smelly but it's right next to the engine/generator and it's as noisy as all hell, but the smell is better and not so claustrophobic as we have a view of the Nile. We are much happier and take it regardless of his objections.

The Marquis II is quoted as being 5 star - it barely makes the grade of 2 1/2 by our standards. Bedspread reeks of cigarettes, the ceiling in bathroom is lifting and we can see the electrics, taps leak, TV doesn't work (not that we're interested anyway) fridge is not clean but then we're only storing our supply of drinking water. The carpet is stained from water and smells of must. However, it's up 1/2 a grade or two on our hotel accommodation, so we're not complaining just telling it how it is. We weren't expecting 5 star luxury and it beats the trawler we thought it might be :)

It has a very small pool on deck but I don't care as it's not hot enough to swim. The deck is comfortable and relaxing as we finally begin our sail at 2.30pm...

1 comment:

  1. lol - sounds very interesting shel! can't wait for the pix. :)

    ReplyDelete