Visit me at my new site ~ click below for my latest posts...

Saturday, November 15, 2008

CHANGE...

There's an interesting cultural contrast between the West and Middle East as western influences are creeping into Modern Cairo. Macca's, Pizza Hut and so forth are everywhere, that's no surprise although I don't remember them in '91 certainly not to the degree they are now.

The men, particurlarly young men are very snappy dressers in their faux and/or real designer shoes, jeans and shirts which highlights for me the dagginess of the average Australian male. The women are for the most part stunning and their mix of traditional dress mixed with the west is creative and attractive. Very different from my memories in '91 where most women wore black and black.

Some women still wear the full traditional black abayas, and most of them are very smart with diamantes and sequins, while others wear patterned or brightly coloured hijabs teemed with a trendy shirt and jeans.

Their smiles are infectious and genuine. For all the hassle, touts, cabbies and the constant cry for 'Baksheesh' - whether it's a visit to the public loo or a beggar in the street - Cairo has got under my skin in a good way. I hated it the first time I was here and after some of our earlier experiences this time around I was still feeling the same way. I thought Cairo was going to be a city I would never like but I have to say the atmosphere and its people have finally got to me and make this city worth a visit. Dave & I do pretty well not to be hassled as we are pretty street wise and focussed on where we're going and how to get there even if it means we still get lost LOL. We're also very good at ignoring when we have to. Don't get me wrong, we're not rude (I haven't resorted to any foul language yet!) In fact we've been having some wonderful encounters with perfect strangers, of course most of them have an alterior motive but the key is to keep moving - Alwayz!! Not because it's dangerous (violent crime rate in Cairo is lower than the US & UK) it's just a lot less hassle....

Next instalment the Egyptian Museum...stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment