Visit me at my new site ~ click below for my latest posts...

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

LUXOR - Museum's & The Oasis

Listening to: Alas I cannot swim - Laura Marling

Can't keep us down for long, feeling still under the weather but much improved so a visit to Luxor Museum seemed a nice, restful relaxing thing to do! What a blast! It's just wonderful. Gorgeous statues of Tuthmosis III, Amenhotep III, (truly amazing and I imagine extremely handsome) in fact the more I think about him and see his pictures here and there, I find myself falling in love with Amenhotep :) Then of course there is Sekhemet (you'd love it Jason) a black and gold wooden head of the cow deity Mehit Weret found in Tutankamen's tomb, two royal mummies, Ahmore (founder of the 18th dynasty) and Ramses I (founder of the 19th dynasty and father of Seti I). They are truly amazing and displayed in glass cabinets in a very dark room without their wrappings - very atmospheric...

The multimedia displays of papyrus being harvested was fascinating for me as I just love the stuff. This all may sound very Erik Von Daniken but honestly when you look at these structures and the detail in each piece, hieroglyphics etc, it's hard not to believe that these masterpieces were created by a very superiour being and technology beyond anything imaginable or fathomable at that time. We're talking 1400 BC and I haven't seen anything in my lifetime replicate what the Ancient Egyptians achieved. The precise measurements, perfectly straight lines, carvings deeply etched into stone that has survived over centuries and stone like granite, one of the hardest stones around. I'm in total awe of this amazing civilisation, one that's still being unravelled and never really explained.

A perfect day, topped off with lunch at the gorgeous Oasis cafe, a renovated 1930s building with high ceilings, tiled floors, with smoking and non smoking dining rooms. Slightly exy prices for Egypt but brilliant food and fabulous staff :)

I LOVE EGYPT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment