Visit me at my new site ~ click below for my latest posts...

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Part II - Kom Ombo

Listening to: The water lapping

Night is falling rapidly when we arrive at Kom Ombo and I don't realise that I've visited this temple before until we get there. Excitement fills me as I drag Dave from one amazing hieroglyphic pillar to another. It's crowded with tour groups - urgghh!! It's lit up beautifully and it just looks delightful. Our pix are a bit shaky due to low light so we video most of it which just looks terrific and really captures the atmosphere of the place.

The temple dedicates itself to the crocodile god Sobek and Haroeris meaning 'Horus the Elder'. There are remains of 18th dynasty structures but most of the temple dates from Ptolemaic times. It stands on a promontory right on the river and is truly spectacular and very exciting to see it at night this time around. It was all very rushed unfortunately as our boat was departing in 40 minutes.

After dinner which isn't too bad considering I get to eat more things other than eggs, cheese and bread was a 'galabiyya' (man's robe party) clearly organised by the tour groups as we've been left completely out of the loop. We hooked up with other independent travellers and watched the shenanigans from the bar. It all looked very lame, so don't think we missed out.

Dave & I went on deck around midnight to view the nile before bed - it was freezing but amazing...

No comments:

Post a Comment