Visit me at my new site ~ click below for my latest posts...

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mirrors & Mythology


Listening to: 'A book like this' - Angus & Julia Stone

Mirrors – A fantastic, surprising thriller directed by Alexandre Aja of ‘The Hills have Eyes’ fame with Kiefer Sutherland.

I hesitated at borrowing this DVD each time I visited the store. The blurb on the back sounded like a flimsy plotline but about a few weeks ago (yes, I haven’t had time to post before now) I really wanted to watch a thriller and Kiefer always usually entertains me in one way or another.

Well, to my shock, surprise and delight (yes, I’m a little strange) this MA rated medium level violence film turned out to be a full on horror movie! For me that was delightful but for someone who hates horror and just wanted a thriller would’ve been upset or even disturbed. If you fall into the former category then you’ll love this movie!

I haven’t been scared by a movie (you know, the jump in your seat kind, or the look away can’t watch kind) since my teens but this one weaved its evil magic and scared me on more than one occasion. There was one scene that I couldn’t even watch (and it didn’t involve spiders). And by then the theme and plot line had already dug its claws in and I was compelled to finish the movie.

There is a great conclusion, not the Hollywood one I was expecting. I give it 4 ½ stars for unpredictability and for being a superb B grade horror flick.

While it was a fab surprise for me and could be a huge shock to those unprepared, either way it’s a damn good watch and a surprising find. I even recommend watching the extras at the films conclusion, not only is the mythology of Mirrors interesting and fascinating, it takes the scariness of the tale away long enough to sleep :)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, as a teen I watched horror and more horror and could never sleep LOL. These days I don't get scared enough to keep me awake but I still don't sleep coz now I have insomnia - so go figure. No amount of extras put me to sleep but in this particular movie I got so fascinated in the mythology of mirrors I at least forgot about being scared :)

    ReplyDelete