Visit me at my new site ~ click below for my latest posts...

Friday, October 3, 2008

All things Writerly...

Listening to: The John Steel Singers


~WRITERS ON THE EDGE~
Back row from left: Michele Cashmore, Sean Williams, Rob Hoge, Chris McMahon, Mark Curtis
Front row from left: Margo Lanagan, Nea Bovill, Deb Soukup, Kate Eltham, Jason Nahrung.

Picture by: Jason Nahrung

Finally making a post YAY! I've just returned from a magickal week away at Joondoburri in Bribie with fellow Edgers and our tutors this year Sean Williams and Margo Lanagan Our days and nights were filled with writing, eating wonderful food (all catered for), drinking, sharing stories about writing, publishing, movies, music, drinking (oh I mentioned that already) walking down Surf Beach in Woorim getting sun kissed and feeling inspired and drawn to the ocean like never before and not one domestic duty or washing up in sight!

The first 50 pages of my ms basically needs to be scrapped and while that idea can sit uncomfortably with me, I also realise that this is my process as a writer. It happens to me time and time again. I never know how the story should begin until I've finished the novel *note to self* next time finish the damn thing! But it's all good, I spent the week brainstorming some otherworldly issues, and answered some tough questions about my characters, and got stuck into world building, the very thing I learned at the Cya conference.

It's kinda tough being back in the real world, because being the nomad I am, I could simply live like this forever - Indulgent? Absolutely and why not I say :) Having said that, I am now planning my OS trip to Egypt, Sinai & Thailand. Less than five weeks to go and lots to do, so will finish up here, post a few pix of the lovely beach and my fellow comrades, which quite seriously my life would not be half as interesting or complete without them.

Enough rambling from me, it's way after Midnight and time to sign off....

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was an awesome trip! You QLD people have all the luck :-) hope you're well mate, and hope you enjoy your overseas adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Jasoni. You're doing amazing writerly things and looking forward to catching up with you in Adelaide next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For serious? YAAAAY!!! Can't wait for Adelaidean Natcon time :-)

    ReplyDelete