Visit me at my new site ~ click below for my latest posts...

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

TRAVEL & other bits and bobs

Listening to: Kings of Leon

How did our use of time become so complicated? You see I’ve been planning an OS trip. It began its inception three years ago when I desperately needed to see my long lost mates in the UK, and each time for whatever reason it got postponed. Finally, this year I finally bit the bullet and asked my partner in crime, and in life if he wanted to come on this odyssey of travelling and researching my books with me? YES! So the trip has evolved over time from being a stint in Egypt and the UK, to Egypt, Sinai & Thailand (sorry my beloved mates) hope we can catch up in Dahab :)

Being the travelling, rambling, nomad that I am – it all should be a piece of cake -right? Wrong! What happened between living foot loose and fancy free to all of a sudden everything becoming bigger than Ben Hur? Is it just the mortgage, the car, the kidz (four legged variety), the job…the writing?

Planning a big OS trip was no big deal in the past because I left it all behind. Everything I owned was literally on my back. No mortgage, car, kidz or even that much writing besides the odd short story here and there. Packed the job in – didn’t know when I was coming back and one time it took me three years before I hit Australian soil again! But now it’s all different and it all seems way too complicated. I know it’s not really, but I’m frustrated – because finally after years of FT tedious work, I’m doing what I love. Writing pretty much full-time now, not making any $$ but writing nevertheless, in between the PT job, exercising (trying to shift the flab and get fit at the same time) other responsibilities and planning a huge trip OS. It's all very, very exciting – don’t think I’m whingeing about that for one minute! I’m just plain frustrated!

Frustrated from not being able to find the time to write. I can’t believe all this organising, vaccinations, researching where to stay, booking tix, decent walking shoes that took over three weeks to find due to my massive feet (they don’t make em that big for women in most makes), passport photos, visas, suitable light clothing, first aid kit and the list goes on…

Oh, and not to mention sorting out the camera, downloading music to the Ipod and organising it all into groovee files, the digital voice recorder (research, research, research) need something suitable to take half decent notes on :)


I know this sounds like a big whinge fest, trust me it’s not – it’s more about me feeling rather inadequate as a writer who can’t get her shit together just because she’s planning a great big, bloody, awesome trip!! I really am excited – very, very excited. I don’t know how much writing is going to get done between now and the end of the year (since I will be gone til then) but I do plan to have a whole lot of ideas for some serious writerly projects next year…

I would be really interested to hear how others manage their writing time while planning important things in their life, living life, coping with life, and everything that life brings us in general, all the while being productive and creative...

I look forward to your insights, ideas and opinions on the subject. In the meantime I must away - music to download, itineraries to type up, emails to write… And it’s way past midnight for this rambler…Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment