Visit me at my new site ~ click below for my latest posts...

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Storms, shipwrecks, swinging sixties and wishing I was older...


The Wahine - Wellington Harbour
 Maybe I've been watching too many movies set in the sixties of late, or maybe it's the raging storm and the gale force winds outside that take me back to the sixties.  The year in question was 1968.  The year I experienced one of the most terrifying and violent storms of my life.

Lulu and her white boots
That aside, one of the great things I remember about 1968 was Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mich and Tich and their hit, 'The Legend of Xanadu'. I was only ten and I so wanted to be all grown up and going to parties, twisting the night away, with back combed hair, black eyeliner like Sophia Loren, lollipop pink lipstick, white knee high boots, mini skirts and big hooped earrings.  

I did all that eventually, but by then it was the seventies.  Not quite as much fun because there was something extra special about the sixties.  And I always remember wishing I was older...

Then I had the good fortune of seeing Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich in London at the Barbican Centre in 1991.  Yep, many years after their songs were hits - but for that afternoon I was living in the sixties, all grown up, drinking beer and doing the twist with my London besties ♥ 

For the nostalgia fans - enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment